Friday, October 4, 2013

Shanghai [Part 4]

After touring the Oriental Pearl Tower, and being covered in the sweat of hundreds of Chinese people, I sat down for a while and took a breather.

I then went to the Shanghai History Museum in the base of the tower.  I won't post all of the pictures, but it was SO COOL.  Here are a few interesting things I saw:

They looove their Buicks in China. I saw Buicks all over the place.



Check out this amazing "sedan chair" created over 10 years by a father's carpentry shop for his son's wedding.  It was insanely intricate, covered in wooden carvings.





They had some exhibits of what rural houses looked like before trade was established in Shanghai.


It was made abundantly clear that the Chinese are not happy about being forcefully opened to Western trade and civilization in the opium wars:





An art school in Shanghai teaching western painting, sculpture, stained glass, etc.



Apparently "coffee house" means alcohol and tobacco.  :)



A sculpture of the riverfront area:


The Catholic church was introduce to Shanghai after the opium wars:


Another cool model of the riverfront:


Figures singing hymns in front of a protestant church:


By the time I left the museum, it was around 1 p.m. and I was so exhausted and hungry.  The sun rose at 5:30 a.m. so this was quite a late lunch.  I did find a nice restaurant in the mall and got some soup dumplings and fried rice.  I didn't know that they were going to be soup dumplings (that is, they have soup inside of them), so I burned my mouth on the first one.  But they were delicious.  :)

Then I went to the conference to check out some talks.  A view out a conference center window:






My next post will be about the Bund Sightseeing Tunnel, which was quite the experience.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment