Monday, April 19, 2010

Pyrallis is dead, long live Pyrallis

The first computer I built, Pyrallis, was a Pentium II 400 MHz. I put
it together back in 1999. It lasted for years as my primary machine.
Eventually I replaced it, but I continued to run pyrallis as my Linux
webserver. Until this year, it served my blog http://chadaustin.me to
the world.

Since the processor was extremely slow by today's standards (my iPhone
is significantly faster), I spent the last day swapping out the CPU,
motherboard, and memory for a Sempron 1 GHz from Robert. Like the old
machine, the new one is running Ubuntu and it would make a decent web
browsing and e-mail computer. It's nice and quiet and simple. I'll
put pyrallis in the closet... bringing us to a total of three
perfectly functioning old computers in our closet. I don't know why I
find it compelling to have working hardware lying around. I just
can't bring myself to throw unbroken stuff away.

Oh yeah, now that I've replaced the motherboard and CPU, no component
from the original pyrallis remains. Pyrallis is dead; long live
pyrallis!

No comments:

Post a Comment